California offers many ways to legally school at home. Some of these options are public school non-classroom-based programs.
Public non-classroom-based, or “home-based,” programs can
- allow flexibility in the pace of a child’s study
- support students in their areas of special interest and ability
- provide an alternative for students to achieve competency and mastery in basic skills
- allow children to be educated at home
- encourage the child’s resourcefulness
- facilitate the student’s active participation in his or her own education
- offer real flexibility in the design of an educational program and
- offer effective educational choices to students and their families.
At Santa Barbara Charter School, we believe in an array of ways for a child to pursue learning and education goals, and we offer a home-based public school option in addition to our classroom-based program. Our HomeBased Partnership is a fully sanctioned Public Independent Study Program that complies with California Independent Study regulations.